Neverware CloudReady: turning old laptops into Chromebooks

Over the past week I've been exploring CloudReady from Neverware. The idea behind it is that it takes an old laptop and effectively converts it into a Chromebook.

I took an old Windows laptop (I'm not sure of the exact age but I think it was about 10 years old). It was running so slowly that it was practically unusable. I replaced it with their operating system, which is based on the Chromium OS, to turn it into a Chromebook. The process was pretty straightforward - it required me to make an installer on a USB stick and then I ran the installation. Overall it took less than an hour but it would be quicker if I were to repeat it. It was a full replacement of the OS, but given that the laptop was destined to be disposed of, this wasn't a problem.

I've now got a fully working Chromebook and I'm really impressed with it. It runs really quickly - the browser is at least as fast as my current Windows laptop and I can watch/stream videos on it clearly. You can see a picture of it below running the GeoGebra app that's available for Chromebooks.



The only issue I had was that it initially wouldn't connect to WiFi. This wasn't a problem with CloudReady - the WiFi was temperamental on the laptop when it was running Windows. I ended up buying a USB WiFi adapter and it now works fine. I found it difficult to find any information online as to which adapters were compatible with Chromebooks - a couple of forums suggested that I needed 802.11n so I bought this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EZOQFHO/ and it worked immediately.

Overall I think this has the potential to be really useful for schools - if they have old laptops that run really slowly then they can convert these to fast Chromebooks. It's free for home users and £10 per device, annually, for schools. You can see more details at: https://www.neverware.com/   

Comments

  1. Dan bukan hanya info tentang permainan ini saja yang bisa ditemukan di internet, Anda pun juga bisa bermain judi dengan permainan ini dengan menggunakan internet
    asikqq
    dewaqq
    sumoqq
    interqq
    pionpoker
    bandar ceme terbaik
    hobiqq
    paito warna
    bocoran sgp
    data hk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleasant stuff! I like to peruse the data that you have imparted to us. I need to get more updates to expand my insight.
    canon printer support | mcafee.com/activate

    ReplyDelete

  3. Creative ideas of digital marketing process will always keep your target audience intact with your brand.
    Best digital marketing company in indore

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maths GIFs: parabolas

Desmos Classroom Activities: An ideal tool for remote/blended learning

Slice of Advice: What have I learned this year?